As people across the United States are celebrating National Coming Out Day today, on 11th October, some people are curious to know why is this day celebrated on 11th October and whether or not it has a history. If you are among these people who are not aware of what the National Coming Out Day is all about and why it is celebrated on 11th October, we have got you covered. Below we have shared the history of this rainbow day and some colorful quotes that you can share on National Coming Out Day.
As a lot of attention towards different sexual orientations is derived in recent decades, people gave started knowing about these orientations and have started giving them all the due respect that they deserved.
Though a lot of efforts are being put into driving the attention of people toward the LGBTQ+ community, there are still several people who don’t accept these orientations thus, the LGBTQ+ community has to struggle for their rights.
In order to create awareness towards LGBTQ+ community rights, the National Coming Out Day is observed across the United States on 11th October. This day was initially observed in 1988 to spread awareness about different sexual orientations and to support the LGBTQ+ community.
Ever since 1988, the members of the LGBTQ+ community celebrate this day by identifying themselves for who they truly are. They come together to draw attention to their rights.
What Is The National Coming Out Day 11th October 2022?
As per the American Psychological Association, National Coming Out Day was initiated in the year 1988 by Psychologist Richard Eichberg and gay rights activist Jean O’Leary. The purpose of observing this day was to raise awareness about different sexual orientations and to drive attention to the rights of LGBTQ+ community members.
The day, 11th October was decided to celebrate this day for a special reason. It was the day in 1988 that marked the second anniversary of the National March on Washington for Lesbian and Gay Rights. The march was held on the same day (11th October) 1987.
More than half a million people participated in this National March.
Ever since then, National Coming Out Day is observed every year as a full-blown celebration with parades and marches that are held all across the United States.
This year too, several people have taken to Twitter and other social media platforms to talk about the day.
The LGBT Foundation has also addressed National Coming Out Day in their recent Tweet. They wrote, “National Coming Out Day was first celebrated on 11 October 1988 and has been celebrated on this day every year since. Coming out is a personal experience for members of the LGBTQ+ community and everyone has their own story to tell.”
National Coming Out Day Quotes
If you are looking to create awareness about National Coming Out day and want to add a social media post about it, below we have provided some quotes to help you with your captions. Check them out!
- There’s just some magic in truth and honesty and openness. — Frank Ocean
- To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. — Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one’s definition of your life; define yourself. — Harvey Fierstein
- Like being a woman, like being a racial, religious, tribal, or ethnic minority, being LGBT does not make you less human. And that is why gay rights are human rights, and human rights are gay rights. — Hilary Clinton
- Love yourself, whatever makes you different, and use it to make you stand out. Mine is my voice and the fact that I’m gay.— Ross Matthews
- Don’t come out unless you want to. Don’t come out for anyone else’s sake. Don’t come out because you think society expects you to. Come out for yourself. Come out to yourself. Shout, sing it. Softly stutter. Correct those who say they knew before you did. That’s not how sexuality works, it’s yours to define. ― Dean Atta
You may also want to know: How To Get Facebook Pride Filter Photo Frame
The Last Words
This was all about the National Coming Out day, its history, and the reason why it is celebrated on the 11th of October. Have you found the article useful? Let us know in the comment box below.